We were up early and off to the train station. I hoped that the station wouldn't be as crowded that early in the morning...my hopes were trampled under the feet of hundreds of people. Whats more is that we had a scare when we were told at the broken metal detector our tickets were wait listed, not confirmed. I freaked. We ran up to the tourist office, as the man at the detector suggested, but of course it was closed. At the last minute, a man, who must have taken pity on our panicked state, offered to take us across the street to place were we could get our tickets confirmed. We rushed over and an employee calmly with confirmed our tickets. Another mad rush we made it to platform 15 and on to our train.
Typical India.
Get told one thing, find out it is another, get told another thing, find out it is something else all together, start to hyperventilate and then at the last minute get saved by someone calmly shaking their head at your foreign anxiety.
An hour later we were dropped off in Rishikesh, hopped a rick shaw and made our way to the High Bank area, up away from the center of town. This part of Riskikesh had an aura that induced a calm and spiritual mood. Tree covered mountains cradled the town which seemed to be drawn in place last minute as a outline of the Ganges. Here the Holy River commands your attention. It roared like a living thing stretching itself through landscape. Down the middle a strong current dragged rafters along and along the banks the river calmed a bit as it lapped the ghats where the reverent gathered to cleanse themselves in the healing waters.
They say that India is a place saturated in spirituality. To be honest, it was in Rishikesh that I first felt this notion to be true, more than just a facade. The air was heavy with something other than the humidity. I don't have a word better than 'spirituality', so I hope that will suffice. I am sure this aura had to do with the proximity of nature; trees, mountains, water, wandering cows are automatic spirituality points in my animist-oriented book. Whatever the cause it was a good feeling. A release valve to the New Delhi pressure that had built up under our skin.
Rishikesh is best described through images, so I'll leave it to that.
Holy bananas!
ReplyDeleteOh and I loved the train music.
ReplyDeleteOh that was the bus. And yeah they had the radio blasting some pretty good music.
ReplyDelete